Pages

Monday, June 15, 2009

a history of wagons

i got to thinking the other day when i was shampooing the seats in my horribly dirty station wagon that i actually learned to drive in a ford wagon.

my first real girlfriend wheeled one of these things around like it was a sports car. being a two-wheeled, self-propelled kind of guy, i was terrified of the beast. my parents torino's were no match for the sheer size of the country squire. we went everywhere in that thing, and i was NEVER behind the wheel. well, when my 16th birthday approached, i was feeling the pressure to drive. ug. i hated the thought of it.

i was a terrible driver. (no jokes about how some things never change!) it was quite embarrassing to have my girlfriend cart me around, but it was more embarrassing that i didn't know how to drive and didn't want to. i was certain that getting behind the wheel of a car the size of a garage wasn't a good idea. how did she drive that thing so well?? a few times behind the wheel and it was quite evident that i would be walking until at least 2009.

eventually, i got my license and drove my parents cars a bit. my mom had a smaller car by that time (an '81 malibu, wow!!) and it was much easier to negotiate. it's quite funny that i became a car buff, considering my first impressions of driving. and it's even more hilarious that i now drive the modern equivalent of a country squire!

maybe i'll keep it and make hanna and tyson use it as their first cars.

....and THAT, my friends, would be an amazing turn of the worm, wouldn't it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wagons, as you know I know, RULE! The Super Wagon of course is the best, but I respect even the old wood-clad Caprice Classic wagon I spot at work from time to time.