Pages

Thursday, August 24, 2023

Heartbreaker Mountain Bike Race at Creve Coeur

Wooo doggy, it was a hot one Sunday at Creve Coeur. Eli and I (along with 200 other people!) raced the last event in the United Federation of Dirt's series for 2023. Here you can see the old man getting out a little quicker on the "GO!". 

These things start fast and never slow down. I was battling it out with a fast young dude from Spain...lucky for me he wasn't taking the heat well.  That good battle kept me on the gas for the first 3 of 5 laps. I was feeling a little sassy with the heat so I unzipped my jersey quite a bit and the crowds went wild. 
Eli was behind me but he wasn't slowing down. He could see me ahead of him on the last two laps.
He caught me right after this photo. He didn't taunt me or call me names. He did tell me to get going, which I couldn't. He blazed past me on the last climb before the finish and put about 40 seconds on me. 
I was suffering at the end, but it was a solid race anyway. I felt like I was racing instead of just pedaling around a mountain bike course. Two hours total in the blazing heat was plenty for me, anyway.  I don't know why I always make such goofy faces while I'm racing. 
Eli really gave it all he had. Lucky for him, he had his number one girl to keep him from falling over at the finish line. I'm glad I could push him that hard!
He gave me a big hug to make sure I wouldn't cry after our race. He's such a good kid, even if he does really like to beat me in races. I still paid for Subway on the way home, so obviously I harbored no ill will.

A big thanks to the Beautiful Mrs. K for setting up the South Side Cyclery tents and getting drinks and snacks for everyone on the team and in the SSC club. We had such a nice crowd there and they all appreciate the hard work Mrs. K does. And she cheers and taunts us, too, so there is no slacking while she's around.

These great photos and many more come from our biggest fan and great supporter, Flannery Allison. 






 

No comments: