Pages

Sunday, December 05, 2021

Sylvan Springs Cyclocross Race - Not me, but Eli!

 

On Friday afternoon, Eli texted me and asked if there was a cyclocross race on Sunday.  I said yes, the State Cyclocross championship race is at Sylvan Springs.  He said he'd like to do it.  So I set about making the green Shitbike into a cross bike for the event.  No big deal, change the tires, and we're off.  I was pretty surprised that he was excited to do it, but I guess I shouldn't be.  He's been pretty jazzed to race bikes whenever the chance comes up.  A solid field of Juniors showed up to race, and Eli jumped out front as usual.  
Just like me, he got passed a few times but his lap times were really consistent and he was going pretty fast.  
He took everything on the course pretty much perfectly.  His mountain biking has really honed his skills and nothing really bothers him.  I made this shot of him going over the barriers, white socks and all.  Overall, his strength is top-notch but building pedal power in the straights is going to be a priority over the winter.
He ended up third.  He wasn't particularly happy because he's gotten a lot of thirds at local races.  Regardless, he's made such strides this year.  If he keeps at it, he'll climb up some podium spots next year.

No comments: