Pages

Friday, March 24, 2017

Car Watching - BMW Z8

I'm going to go out onto a limb here and suggest that most readers have not seen a Z8 in person.  I might go so far as to say that most have never heard of one.  Well, here it is.
 BMW has had some special cars over the years.  Wait.  Most BMW's are special.  But BMW has had some REALLY special cars.  The Z8 qualifies.  It had a very short production run, 1999 to 2003, and only 5700 were built.  Only 2500 or so made it to the United States.  It started life as a concept car (called the Z07) and made it to showrooms as the Z8.
 This bad boy was plenty expensive.  $130,000 was Lamborghini and Ferrari money in 1999.  It was also plenty amazing.  Underneath lies an aluminum space frame.  And under the hood was a bad ass 4.9 liter V8 with 400 horsepower.
I can't find an angle that I don't like, but I'd have to say the profile and the rear view are my favorites.  I could look at this thing all day.  I'm sure if I had stayed much longer, they would have shoo'd me out of the little showroom.

No comments: