Pages

Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Staying out of Trouble - Bikes as Therapy

Local trails are closed.  That's a real bummer because I need some relief from the monsters in my brain.  I texted my work mate and told him we were going to St. James today.  Why St. James??  Because that's where a very remote, kick ass mountain bike trail exists.  The beautiful Mrs K and I visited this place last summer for a mountain bike race and I have vowed to return ever since.
Just a straight shot down highway 44 gets you this very well cared for, very remote, and incredibly well designed place.  Never mind the asphalt...it was the dirt we were concerned with.  And people?  We were social distancing to an enormous extent!!
Evan was obviously outgunned.  He brought a plastic spoon to a bazooka fight.  While his super-bright Procaliber may have outshined Blurple on the bike rack, out on the super rough Forest City trails the full-suspension bike reigns supreme!  Man, that place is tough and really interesting.  Lots of fun features, too.  20 miles later, I had my fill of delicious single track and Evan was scouring the classifieds for long-travel full-suspension bikes.....
On our way out of St. James, we spied was was without a doubt a Velociraptor attack on an unsuspecting Chevy Cobalt.  You see the darndest things out on Route 66!
Never to leave well enough alone, the beautiful Mrs K and I coaxed Eli into riding an E-bike with us on the street.  He put the screws to us.  At one point, he was pedaling up a hill with his hand on his hip, taunting me.  Live long enough to see your kids revel in your defeat and you've accomplished something, I always say.

No comments: