Pages

Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Cyclocross in the Mud at St. Vincent

I can't really tell you why I raced cross this past Sunday. As you all know too well, I avoid riding (and definitely racing) in the mud. I've had my fill of it over the 44 years of racing. Eli was dead set on doing the cross race at St. Vincent, so maybe that was it. My race was after his, and he and his podium mates don't look too bad here. Very proud of his second place!
As much as I love to race at this venue, the wet conditions did me no favors. The course wasn't too bad when we arrived in the morning. Not surprisingly, with all of the wheels rolling and the occasional quick shower, it deteriorated. After my race started, there was a steady rain to go along with the steady cold. I was slip sliding away and riding terribly, despite working very hard. 10th place was all I deserved.
There was no escaping the clean-up. The mud was not sticky, but the grass on the course combined with mud wound it's way into every orifice on our two bikes. We stopped at Imo's on the way home to celebrate Eli's great race and my malaise, but after that I went to work. Three hours later, the TCX's were spit shined and waiting for another race. 

However, if the next race is muddy Eli will be the only Kakouris racing that day. 



 

No comments: