Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Ford Eco Sport - Good thing it's a Rental

So I have been a Ford guy since I was old enough to know the difference.  My parents had them so they were familiar and easy to recognize.  I haven't loved every Ford I have owned but I have at least liked each one.

However, the pudgy, homely, disproportionate car you see in this photo would have to do a helluva lot to gain a place in my heart.  Behold, the Ford Eco Sport. 

My Focus, which I will say has gained my respect if not my love, had a couple of factory recalls outstanding that I have waited years to take care of.  Yesterday, I dropped off the silver hatch back to finally get those taken care of.  The super-nice folks at Sunset Ford offered a rental car while mine was getting the love, and I couldn't refuse a rental car since I still gotta work.

In the cold, dark, misty night, the Enterprise rental guy led me to this off-red (sorta pinkie looking red) lump.  He apologized, perhaps seeing the disappointment on my face.  I took the keys, knowing that there was no reason to be upset because I just needed transportation.

The Eco has 2k miles on it, so it's essentially new.  Yet, that is the most positive thing I can say about it.  I mean, just look at this thing.  I has the most unpleasing shape of any modern SUV (high-car, if you'd like) on the road.  I found out pretty quickly that the only difference when pushing on the gas pedal lightly and pushing on the gas pedal violently was more agricultural, farm equipment-like noise from the front of the car.  No difference in speed, really.  Just more noise. Checking out the sticker price which was still on the window, I was surprised to see that they wanted $24k for this thing, farm noises and all.  Must be because the tractor engine under the hood is a turbo.  A turbo THREE CYLINDER 1.0.  Wow.  One can only wonder what the outcome would be if they DIDN'T have the turbo on this beast.  Seems like a heckuva lot of money for an engine that is missing it's 4th cylinder.  Don't get me started on the auto start/stop feature.

Can't wait to get the Focus back. I will gladly hand the Eco's keys back.  There are some things, however new, that just aren't worth it.




No comments: