Pages

Friday, July 12, 2019

It's NOT St. Francis Park

You don't look like a Saint.

The beautiful Mrs K and I went for a walk around St. Francis park last night explicitly to check out this statue.  As many times as we have been to this park, neither of us have seen it.  The statue is a tribute to David R Francis, a pretty big deal between the 19th and 20th centuries.

Francis was mayor of St. Louis, governor of Missouri, Secretary of the Interior, President of the World's Fair organization, and the ambassador to Russia.  Wow, that's a LOT of ground to cover in his 77 years.

What Francis was not, however, was a saint.

I have been calling Francis Park (the park in St. Louis Hills that bears David's name) St. Francis park since the beginning of time.  Well, since at least 1986 or so when I first saw the park and began hanging out there.  Just seemed right.  I mean, everything else around St. Louis is Saint-something.

The beautiful Mrs K has told me that she has repeatedly told me that it's not St. Francis.  I don't really remember her telling me that, but I'm going to believe her and just chalk it up to me being hard-headed (and perhaps hard-of-hearing).  She did grow up about 40 feet from the edge of the park, so it's best just to go with Francis Park.


No comments: