Pages

Monday, October 07, 2019

On Sundays We Play in the Dirt

The day started very early for myself and the beautiful Mrs K.  A mad dash for donuts and coffee, then to Cliff Cave for the first edition of Dirt and Donuts.  D&D is a mountain bike group ride with a healthy bent towards beginners and brand new riders.  Nothing like passing on skills and wisdom learned over 40+ years of riding in the dirt.  It was a success, and we can't wait to do it again. We will be there at 8am every Sunday morning in October.
After a quick trip home to change clothes, we were off to Sylvan Springs for the first race in the Bubba Cyclocross Series.  Deanna and Eli took a lap of the course too, just to make sure it wasn't too hard for me.  A couple of showers before the A race made the course a bit unpredictable, but it was still FAST.  The demons booted me in the ass and I started as fast as humanly possible, which is just what I do.  Taylor Carrington, whom I hadn't raced in 20 years, grabbed onto me and made sure I didn't get anywhere.
I didn't really get anywhere.  After a comfortable first lap lead, I started getting passed, which is just what I do.  Mrs K kept up the cheering section, as she has done for 15 years.
But I pressed on.  The course was much to my liking.  I felt like I was very solid, and was battling it out for 5th place in a nicely talented field.  I also felt marvelous in my red St. Louis Trek gear.  God, I love red.
Did I say it was fast?  Our race averaged 13.4mph.  Doesn't sound like much to roadies, but wet grass and 807ft of elevation in 12.5 miles gives you a good idea of that speed.  I did hold on to that 5th place, and even picked up some money at the pay table.
A bit soggy and absolutely exhausted, I felt great about my post-race indulgence.  Can't wait to do it again.

No comments: