Pages

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Stair Club is not all Fun and Games

You may think that running in Stairclub is just a laugh a minute.  Alas, it is not.  There is a LOT that goes into just GETTING there.  I usually ride my BMX bike over there.  It's a great warmup and results in about a 10 mile round trip.  The biggest snag in riding to Stairclub?  Water.  I hate bringing water on the little bike.  So I plan my route accordingly.  In the warmer months, the drinking fountains are on.  First stop: drinking fountain in one of the little parks alongside River Des Peres.  I usually have two hardcore sprints in the bag by the time I hit this one and I really need this.
Fully watered down, I climb a couple hills to reach Wehner Park.  It's the old standby being so close to Stairclub.  Sometimes there are games going on here, but today it was completely vacant.  This water fountain has been a life saver over the years.
 A couple more hills and I reach the destination.  Stairclub.  Today the temps are low and the trash has been more or less cleared.
 But not the walnuts.  They abound.  They're everywhere!  I took a stroll up and down the steps to sweep them away.  I bet I cleared 50 of them.
Quivering quads and all, I conquered the stairs and head home.  But not before hitting the fountain at Wehner again.  And of course there were a few more sprints on the way home. It's all fun and games until they turn off the water for the winter!

1 comment:

Emma Johnson said...

Yup So true, Tim! Congratulations for those 50 walnuts!!