Pages

Friday, November 07, 2014

Night Ride on the Katy Trail with a Rowdy Bunch

 I never do things like that.  I mean, I never ride my bike just for silly fun.  I'm always riding hard or burning calories...never doing things like riding the Katy Trail at night.  When DJ proposed that we do just that (ride the Katy Trail from Research Park to Defiance and back after work one night), I pretty much knew that I wouldn't go.  I never do things like that.  But I went.  DJ, Jen, Hartbeck, Jer-bear and I met at the trail head at Research Park with the full moon shining.  And it was cold!  Once we hit the trail, the moon was so bright that we all turned off our lights.  It was such an amazing sight.  And we had a blast, too.  Skunks were out in force, and we saw 10-12 of them and I swear Hartbeck was going to get sprayed.  Frozen, we reached Defiance.  The bar we wanted to stop at to warm up and have a pint was closed...so we walked into the OTHER bar.  To say it was sparsely populated is an understatement.  But it was warm and there were refreshments there.
We had refreshments.  And there was a great surfboard above our heads.  And someone told Jer-bear that he looked like an Angry Bird.  Much warmer, we chased more skunks on the way home, and Jenn put the hammer down and pushed the pace to the point that some of us had to stop and pee.  There may have been riders off the trail at one point too, but I'm not sure.  All in all, an unforgettable night.

No comments: