Pages

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

life on the trainer

i've got a love/hate relationship with this thing.

i mean, i really hate riding it. it's boring. while riding it, i sit in a pool of my own sweat. the world goes on around me, i get stuck watching the same dvd's, my ass hurts, and truly, i'm pedaling and going no where.

on the other hand, i love having something to ride when the weather is harsh. let's face it...i'm not riding outside much when it's 30 degrees. no way. i'll off-road when it's that cold, but i'm not bundling up with all of my hi-tech gear only to come back in an hour later when my fingers and toes are numb. so i do have a love for this stupid device. it keeps the pounds off and keeps my legs speed up. and, it lets me get the heart rate up and keep it there in pretty controlled fashion, something that isn't always possible on the road or trail.

one year, 2000, i didn't touch a tire to the ground outdoors until i took the bike off of my rack in columbia for froze toes. hanna was born in january, and i just couldn't force myself to get out. i ended up having one of my best racing years, EVER. i won't go so far as to say that there is causation here, but i will say it works to keep a bloke in reasonable shape.

now.....where are those dvd's??

No comments: