Pages

Sunday, February 12, 2023

Sounds far-fetched, but I'm in a Hall Of Fame

 

When I was first approached about being inducted into the Missouri Motocross Hall of Fame, I'm sure you can imagine my reaction.

"Well...I've never ridden a motorcycle. I take that back, I rode Dru Potts Ninja and racked myself on the gas tank when I snapped the throttle closed 100 yards from his driveway."

Come to find out, it's a bit of a misnomer. This hall of fame aims to honor two-wheeled riders who've made an impact on the sport in Missouri. It was started in 2020 and includes motorcycle racers, bicycle racers and freestyle riders, and industry people. 

Ok. I'm in. Thank you and I'm very flattered!

Only, that wasn't the end of it. There was to be a ceremony in Springfield, Missouri and Craig Stagner (the driving force behind the Hall of Fame) really wanted the inductees to actually attend. Really? I have to go and accept this award in person? It sounded very uncomfortable to me. I just don't like that sort of attention. But even though Eli and I had JUST gotten home the night before from California, the Beautiful Mrs. K INSISTED on us going. No discussion. We were going. And since each inductee was to have a 'presenter', she was more than happy to introduce me with a heart-wrenching little story to get me all teary-eyed before I had to get up and awkwardly give thanks.
Don't get me wrong. I was so flattered to be considered for such an honor. But I bragged and boasted plenty as a cocky 18-year-old about my racing. That was not something that I enjoyed anymore and wish that I could turn back time and shut myself up. So whenever this type of stuff comes up, I get squirmy and would rather prop up some of the other deserving athletes. And in this place...there were some amazing people already in the hall of fame. Plus the other people that were getting inducted for 2023. Here, the man himself, Craig Stagner congratulates me and I gave a few words of thanks before I sat back down.
There are so many years of two wheeled adventures in this photo, it's hard to believe. I loved listening to the stories of these great people. Two of the inductees had already passed away, and their families attended to accept the honors. 
My fabulous support crew. It's amazing to have such support, and to feel so loved. I mean, I'm just an old dude who loves to ride bikes, right? The room where the presentation was held was packed, wall to wall, with Hall of Famers and their families and friends. 
Chad Brixey was inducted in 2021. He's an amazing rider and an ardent supporter of the Hall of Fame. He is the guy that convinced me that this was a good thing and that I deserved to be in it. I'm very grateful for his support. 

I can't express my gratitude enough, both to my family for their support and to the Hall of Fame for considering me. Thank you all. 






No comments: