Pages

Sunday, December 04, 2022

Cyclocross State Championships, Last Race of the Year

Eli raced a lot this year. He extended his off-road racing season by doing some of the cyclocross races, and had some real success. But today didn't go so well. He'd been sick all week with some respiratory nastiness. I was in favor of him skipping the race altogether, but he insisted that he was fine. After a killer first lap, it looked like he was going to crush it. Then he had a few coughing fits and suffered to the finish, getting 5th place. A bummer, but not hugely important in the big scheme. He will get into his off-season training as soon as he gets rid of the cough and congestion.

I didn't race much this year, and it shows. My placement was a bit better than Eli, but I probably feel worse about my race than he does about his. I managed a 3rd place, but it was a very distant 3rd. I got waxed by some really good guys and I keep telling myself that I should be competing with them. The course was fun.  I wish I was better.
This was as close as I got to first and second place all day :)
A bronze medal for 3rd. If I decide to race cross again next year, it will be with an actual cross bike. And I will spend time riding it before racing, as well. There is really no sense in racing something if there is no real intention of getting better at it.

Thanks to the Beautiful Mrs. K for being at every race not only for us, but for so many of the wonderful families and racers we have met. And thanks to Flannery Allison and her support for us, not just fantastic photographs.


 

No comments: