Pages

Monday, August 02, 2021

We Do a Lot of Bike Riding Around Here

Hanna has been coming to the Girls Night Out rides for a few weeks now and has really come along well with her riding.  She rides with the "A" crowd and really loves it.  She already runs quite a bit for general fitness, so adding a little swimming comes next because she's contemplating doing a triathlon in the future...very excited for her!
The weather cooperated with us this past weekend so we could race the Klaus Park mountain bike race in Cape.  It's a crazy, twisty-turning course with never a place to rest.  Eli raced the juniors.  Not one to enjoy photos very much, he paused briefly so we could see him in his ever-stylish South Side kit before his race.
He finished 3rd overall in the juniors, and since they started behind the Marathon class as well as the Category 3 class, he had a lot of traffic to pass through.  And these three guys passed a LOT of the field en route to their finish.  Very proud of him!
I sported the new kit as well, and Eli was comforting me before I had to line up for the Category 1 race.  The weather was beautiful and the trail was fantastic.
I wish I was fantastic.  I started off very strong (not a surprise) and had a pretty good first lap.  My second lap was slightly slower (not a surprise), but my third lap kinda sucked (only a little surprising).  I just faded after that, and the most I could muster was 6th place.  I'm unhappy about that, but I knew better than to have high hopes after being so tired.  Too much work, too much stress, not enough sleep. I can't really expect to be up front with the big boys if I'm not doing the right things in my real life.

 I will say that I was feeling pretty good (after another hectic day at the shop) about a recovery ride tonight with the Beautiful Mrs. K.  She's coming back very well from her titanium adventure, so we had a nice ride around the neighborhood. Also very pleasant was riding this bike, my 1998 Schwinn Predator.  It has the closest feel to the old school BMX bikes that I rode and raced in my youth.  Love this old turd.

No comments: