Pages

Monday, November 09, 2020

Savoring the Weather with a Lot of Mountain Biking

I had high hopes for getting a couple good laps in at the Forest City Trails in St. James on Sunday.  Alas, it was not to be.  A big boulder (or small rock, who can say??) wedged into my rear derailleur 6.66 miles into my first lap.  Say what you will about that cursed number, my day was over.
But it wasn't over.  I got home, replaced the link on the derailleur, and recruited Eli to ride at Eureka Mountain Bike Park.  He didn't go with me to St. James because he was a bit tired, but he did jump at the chance to ride at EMBP.  There has been quite a bit of work done there over the last couple months and it was in fine shape.  We hit the runs a bunch of times, enough to get 4+ miles and 700 feet of climbing.  Let that sink in for a moment. That's a lot of climbing to go downhill fast for a few seconds.
The big ride of the weekend came this morning.  Both Eli and the Beautiful Mrs K are big fans of Bluffview so we got chores and school work done by noon and headed out.  The weather was simply spectacular, and the view at the overlook was awesome.  I didn't realize how bad my facial hair looked (shaved when I got home).
Eli's skills have just grown and grown.  Mrs K surprised us at the bottom of Zombie East and got a few good shots of us coming into one of the last berms.  Again, he did the whole trail system, improving on nearly every single segment.  It's great to see him tackle the hard stuff, and his climbing is getting very solid.  He walks nothing.
Mrs K also caught me and Blurple coming in right behind Eli,  I hit 1000 off-road miles this past week, so every ride with Team Kakouris is icing on the cake!
 

No comments: