Pages

Monday, September 07, 2020

Monday Adventure Series? Why not - Old Cove Canoe

If you know me at all, you know that water is not my thing.  Sure, I fancy a couple good showers a day, but when it comes to getting IN the water, say in a lake or river or pool...I'd rather keep my feet on dry ground.  Never mind that I'm a Pisces.  But the Beautiful Mrs K LOVES the water, and she has a way of passing her love of practically anything my way.  Something we have been talking about for years is kayaking, so I agreed when our Labor Day weekend plans were being formulated to give it a try.
We drove a bit southwest to St. Clair, Missouri.  The Meramec river seems to be everywhere in our neck of the woods, and it's a very popular river to float on.  The Old Cove Canoe rental place was our destination.  Super cool people there, and we arrived early so there was no crowd.
We chose the 4 mile float.  We should have gone longer, as it only took us an hour and a half or so.  But it was a fantastic time.  The river was the perfect height.  Lots of debris, though.  Tons of trees down in the way.  I guess that's part of floating the Meramec?  How would I know?

Typical of Missouri, the river's edge was full of wonderful things.  Rock ledges, crazy tree roots, interesting bluffs, etc.  And, we got a great workout with the paddles.  I became a big fan of kayaking. So much more fun than paddling a canoe.

No comments: