Pages

Thursday, August 20, 2020

Similar but Different

 

None of my kids are completely like me.  There are some kids that are chips off of the old block.  But mine are pretty different.  But there are some really freaky little similarities.  Take Eli for instance.  He's the last in line of a really cool line-up of kids.
He started riding bikes when he was 3 or so.  It took him a while to take his training wheels off.  In fact, I was getting worried.  But by 6, he took them off and started winning the short Gateway Cup races.  He was just a strong kid and a darn good bike rider.
But that didn't mean he was going to be a mini-me.  He rode bikes when he wanted.  For fun.  He played basketball in school, turned into a good baseball player and an even better football player.  
He had many more things to do than to stare down at handlebars.  But every time he picked up a bike, he showed us how good he was.  Pretty natural.  But not one to be obsessive about it like me.
Lately, he committed to joining NICA.  Even though they cancelled the NICA races in the state because of the plague, he's done every practice and has been having a great time.  I love it, but mostly because he has fun with it without being obsessive, like me.  Similar, but different.

No comments: