Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2018

New Things Look, you know, NEW

It was time for my first oil change on the Focus.  I got it at 17,000 miles and it's now at 22,000.  I know that some cars and some manufacturers have longer oil change intervals, but 5,000 is a nice round number and I will always remember 7's and 2's for this car.  So be it.  I like changing my own oil, too.  It costs me $23 for the oil and filter, I get to buy the Motorcraft filter (which the dealer obviously didn't use!) and Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic oil.  And I'm absolutely sure that the drain plug is tight!

I was struck by how pristine this thing is down yonder.  I mean....like new clean.  Everything is aluminum: block, control arms, transmission case.  And that stuff is obviously anodized or coated in some way.  But, WOW.  Look at this thing!

And curious eyes will notice the wee oil filter.  Man, I'm telling you, that thing looks like a kids sippy cup.  Curiously, the rubber seal stuck to the housing when I removed the old filter.  I have heard of that happening, but never witnessed it myself.  Luckily I noticed it and peeled it off before screwing the new filter up into it!

Surprising how great the gas mileage is on this puppy.  I've yet to get less than 33mpg for a full tank.  My regular is 35mpg.  But I admit to driving like a grandpa.  The Focus will get up and move when I demand it, but I don't demand much.  I've promised the car to Eli, who will have his permit in less than 3 years and his full license in 4.  Certainly this thing will not have topped 100k by that time.

No comments: