Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Strange Resurgence In BMX Stuff

Around Christmas time I bought a new BMX bike for myself, a Redline Proline Pro XL.  I had been threatening to do so for a while and finally did it.  Comparatively speaking, BMX bikes are cheap so it wasn't a stretch at all.  I have only been able to ride it sparingly, and it has been tough.  But I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Strangely, I have been selling some BMX bikes at work, too.  Mostly to old guys like me, as it turns out.  I guess people relive the days of their youth in different ways.  Some middle age guys buy Corvettes.  Other middle guys by little bikes.  Corvettes are slightly more expensive.

Although thoroughly modern under the skin, the very convincing SE Retro bikes really have hit a chord.  The mag wheels put them over the top.  I take one look at a PK Ripper and I instantly think of Feldon Wicks, the guy responsible for introducing me to BMX racing way back in 1979.  Funny, but his PK's and even his Quad Angle's were even more trick than these modern bikes.  I wish I could find a photo of his all blacked-out PK with Skyway Graphite Tuff Wheels.  Me and my friend Bob worshiped Feldon and the fact that he had bikes clean enough to eat off of made us crazy with envy.

Memory lane.  Sometimes it really is good, wholesome fun.

No comments: