Pages

Friday, September 24, 2021

Some People can do MORE THAN ONE Sport!

I'm pretty much a one-sport dude.  I ride bikes.  Oh, I run a little.  I've thrown a baseball before, kicked a soccer ball, got hit in the eye with a handball.  But bikes are all I really do.  Eli, my youngest, is just like my other kids...he can do a lot of different stuff.  Right now, he's a football player AND a mountain biker.  He has football practice 5 or 6 days a week plus games.  And yet, we packed up the Murano and drove to Warsaw (not Poland, mid-Missouri!) for another NICA mountain bike race.  This photo is a picture of the Sophmore "A" field.  The fields of kids were all this big!!  Mountain biking is alive and well, for sure.  Four hundred plus riders were signed up.
I rode the NICA course the day before and although it was not difficult in terms of skills (lots of gravel switchbacks and tight corners, though), it was hot and darn near 100 feet per mile of climbing.  Eli can ride anywhere and ride anything, so for him, it's never a question of skill.  He's not a trained bike racer but he's an awesome mountain biker.

He's been racing my bike lately, which is good because his Trance X is a legit trail bike and the NICA courses really don't need that.  I'm sure he'd rather be jumping off of something or barrelling down some super fast rocky shute, but he does like the speed of the Anthem.  

He had a football game tonight and made some tackles as well as a pass reception.  Tomorrow, he has NICA practice at Bluffview.  Sunday, he's going to do the cyclocross race in Alton with me.  

So glad my kids are not as single-dimensional as I am!

No comments: