Pages

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

2020 - Great Year for Being Outdoors

 

Although it's been a terrible year in a lot of ways, it's been a good year for people that sell bikes.  For me and my family, it's been a great year to ride bikes.  Not only did we ride bikes, but we were also outdoors so much and did so much exploring on walks and hikes.

This was the first year that I noted just how much I've done on the different bikes that I ride, and I was even able to document the hikes that we've done together.

Total Mileage on my bikes: 3305. Elevation: 248,000 feet! Hours: 304!

Mountain Bike mileage, 1461.  This blew me away.  Almost half of my riding mileage this year was on the mountain bikes.  This brings me great joy, and strains my wallet for new tires and chains!  But man, I love it.

Gravel Bike: 816.  This is actually on gravel, around town, bike paths, whatever.  Kind of generic riding.

Road Bike: 781.  Not at all impressive.  But rarely do I get on a road bike for cruising around.  On the road bike, it's seriously hard and almost always hilly.

BMX Bike: 253.  I love this!  Generally speaking, most people don't put many miles on a BMX bike.  But I ride it like my other bikes, albeit jumping curbs and bunnyhopping obstacles along the way.

Other highlights of riding this year were the places we went and getting Eli out on a mountain bike.

We rode our mountain bikes at Cliff Cave, Greensfelder, Lost Valley, Bluffview, Brommelslick, Indian Camp Creek, Forest City in St. James, Klaus Park in Cape, Route 66 in Litchfield, SIU, Castlewood, Eureka Mountain Bike Park, St. Charles Pump Track, Rhett's Run in Columbia, Council Bluff and Berryman.

Besides riding bikes, I also spent a lot of time outdoors with the Beautiful Mrs. K.  She and I started hiking and walking our Hound Dog just as the plague got underway.  We went for 15 hikes for a total of 35 miles. We hiked at Pickle Springs, Don Robinson, Hawn State Park, Rockbridge, Emmenegger Park, Whitecliff, Mastadon, Hickory Canyon, Strawberry Creek, and Valmeyer.

And for good measure, we kayaked on the Meramec and bought a bike shop.  In a couple of days, we will be the proud owners of South Side Cyclery in St. Louis.  

Onward and upward!



No comments: